David M. Buffo - Shareholder/Director
David represents clients in many industries including transportation, technology, and construction. He focuses on learning about his clients’ businesses and then helping them achieve their objectives. His services include negotiation, mediation, and representation of commercial matters in regard to transportation, premises liability, product liability, non-compete disputes, contract disputes, and collections.
David also serves as national counsel for a Fortune 500 transportation service provider for which he oversees litigation throughout the U.S. and Canada. He has extensive experience handling cargo loss and damage claims for motor claims.
David is licensed to practice in Kansas and Missouri and is admitted in the U.S. District Court of Western Missouri; U.S. District Court, District of Kansas; U.S Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit; and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit.
- Defended a maker of commercial and residential building products against allegations of defective roofing materials.
- Defended retail management company in bench trial involving claims that a customer was injured because of dangerous parking lot conditions. The judge ruled in favor of the retail management company on all claims.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of transportation client in case involving cargo loss claims. E&S International Enterprises, Inc. v. Yellow Freight System, Inc., et al., No. CV 08-3224 PSG (JTSLx), 2009 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 9407.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of transportation client in case involving counterclaims against transportation client for cargo loss and damages in excess of $600,000 related to more than 1,200 shipments transported by client. YRC Inc. v. Royal Consumer Products LLC and Mafcote Inc., 2011 WL 3819651 (D. Conn 2011).
- Represented property owner in dispute with adjacent quarry over alleged property damage due to discharge and runoff from quarry. Achieved favorable settlement on behalf of plaintiff after only three days of a possible three-week jury trial.
- Advised commercial cleaning franchise in breach of contract, employment and non-compete disputes.
- Kansas Bar Association
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
- Missouri Bar Association
- Conference of Freight Counsel
- Transportation Lawyers Association
- Author, “MAP-21 and its Impact on the Transportation Industry,” Ingram’s, February 2014
- Co-author, “Delay & Disruption,” Kansas Construction Law Handbook, Chapter 4, 2006
- Speaker, “Arranging Motor Carriage in the U.S.: Nothing to It or Is There?” Canadian Transportation Lawyers Association annual conference, Toronto, Canada 2016
- Speaker, “Staying Ahead of the Curve and Protecting Your Business: New Risk Trends and Solutions When Arranging Motor Carriage,” Roanoke Trade webinar, November 2012
- Speaker, “Adulteration of Food and Pharmaceuticals,” Transportation Lawyers Association annual conference, Carlsbad, CA. 2009