John F. Thompson, II - Of Counsel
John is admitted to practice in the United States District Court, District of Kansas, the United States District Court, District of Western Missouri, the State of Kansas, the State of Missouri, and the State of Nebraska.
John’s practice focuses on business and corporate law in which he represents lending institutions, corporations, family businesses, entrepreneurs, and investors in corporate transactions, ranging from commercial financing transactions, mergers and acquisition and complex corporate and debt restructurings.
John works with businesses and their principals across a variety of sectors including, agribusiness, biotechnology, finance and wealth management, real estate development, and healthcare. He regularly serves as lead counsel in commercial financing transactions related to problem loan workouts, default resolution, debt restructurings, commercial foreclosures and bankruptcy proceedings.
Prior to joining Dysart Taylor, John worked for a China-focused private equity fund where he handled the sourcing, due diligence and reporting requirements for the firm’s equity investments in Hong Kong and mainland China. John also worked in the private client services division of a trust and asset management company where he advised clients in the areas of investment management, estate planning and pension plan design.
- Experience handling a wide variety of corporate transactions, including acquisitions, private placements, and secured financings.
- Regularly advises lending institutions on the structure and negotiation of real estate backed financings, including office buildings, shopping centers, multi-family complexes, hotels and mixed-use projects.
- Represents lenders and borrowers in all matters surrounding distressed commercial loans, including foreclosure and bankruptcy litigation, restructuring and workouts, deed-in-lieu of foreclosures, and disposition of distressed assets.
- Routinely advises businesses and their owners in a variety of transactional and regulatory matters, including employment matters, capital raising, corporate structure, compensation and retention policies, acquisitions, and exit and succession planning.
- Assists clients with wealth transfer planning and business formation.
- Assists business owners and medical practitioners with the evaluation and implementation of corporate pension plans, as well as, portfolio construction and strategies for investing the assets therein.
- Provided legal due diligence and investment analysis on private equity investments for China-focused investment manager with approximately $300 million assets under management. Responsible for securities laws compliance and assisting the general counsel in the legal activities of the funds.
- The Missouri Bar
- The Kansas Bar Association