Robert W. Cotter - Of Counsel
Bob leads the firm’s Aviation Practice and is an experienced mediator. His work as a defense attorney has been primarily in the areas of aviation and insurance/reinsurance. He represents many of the nation’s largest aviation and insurance companies and their insureds. Bob has successfully defended cases involving wrongful death, personal injury and property damage in state and federal courts throughout the Midwest. His client base includes insurers, airlines, manufacturers, repair facilities, fixed bases, operators and agents and brokers.
Bob acts as general counsel for and represents numerous small and medium-sized businesses, advising them on various corporate matters. He has represented many of the firm's clients for more than 30 years.
Bob also has extensive experience in mediation and arbitration. He represents clients in proceedings in commercial, personal injury and wrongful death cases. He has acted as a private mediator in both small and complex cases, and has served as an arbitrator with the American Arbitration Association in substantial commercial cases throughout the Midwest.
Bob is admitted to practice before the U.S. Supreme Court, Missouri Supreme Court, Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals, and the U.S. District Court for the Western and Eastern Districts of Missouri and the District of Kansas.
- Handled a $23 million defense verdict in a Missouri state court and a $50 million defense verdict in a Kansas federal court in which the damages were uncontested.
- Obtained one of the largest verdicts in the State of Kansas in an aviation subrogation case on behalf of an aircraft manufacturer and its insurer.
- Had an Arbitration Award upheld by the Kansas Court of Appeals.
- American Bar Association
- Aviation Committee
- The Missouri Bar
- Aviation Committee
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
- Missouri Organization of Defense Lawyers
- Board of Directors, 2008-present
- American Arbitration Association
- Commercial Panel
- Defense Research Organization
- Rockhurst University
- Board of Regents
- Alumni Association, Past President
- St. Joseph Health Center
- Advisory Board, Past President
- Seton Center
- Legal Clinic
- "Navigating the Pros and Cons of Arbitration," Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association (KCMBA) 2015 Bench-Bar & Boardroom Conference, Branson, MO, May 2015
- “Damages for Pre-Impact Fear in Aviation Cases,” SMU Air Law Symposium, March 2013
- “Basics of Arbitration,” American Arbitration Association
- “NTSB Investigations,” SMU Air Law Symposium