Stacey L. Janssen - Shareholder/Director
Stacey is licensed to practice in Missouri and Kansas.
Stacey’s practice focuses primarily on elder law where she provides guidance for her clients on issues regarding Medicaid, Estate Planning, Guardianship and Conservatorship, Social Security Disability, Patient and Resident’s Rights, and Special Needs Planning.
- Served as a project attorney and volunteer attorney coordinator for the Kansas Elder Law Hotline. Responsibilities included recruitment, supervision, and training of 150 private volunteer attorneys as well as providing legal advice to more than 3,000 elderly Kansans and their families.
- Served as a project attorney for Kansas Legal Services for Older Adults. Responsibilities included giving legal advice and representing persons age 60 or older in Johnson and Wyandotte Counties of Kansas in the areas of Medicaid, Division of Assets, Medicare, Advanced Directives, Patient and Resident’s Rights, Social Security, Domestic Relations/Violence, and Landlord/Tenant.
- Kansas Bar Association (KBA)
- KBA Committee on Elderly and Disability Issues
- KBA Legal Aid and Referral Committee
- KBA Elder Law Section President
- Johnson County Bar Association
- Board of Directors
- Kansas Chapter – National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys
- Founding Member
- National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys
- Johnson County Probate Bench Bar Committee
- Johnson County Probate Committee
- The Earl E. O’Conner American Inn of Court
- Kansas City Estate Planning Society
- Board of Directors
- Kansas Women Attorneys Association
- Association for Women Lawyers
- Village Presbyterian Church
- Clerk of Session 2002 – 2004
- Elder/Trustee 2001 – present
- Village Church Child and Family Development Center
- Advisory Board
- ARCare, Inc.
- Board Member
- Johnson County Nursing Home
- Board Member
- Aberdeen Village Advisory Board
- Board Member
- Prairie School P.T.A.
- Shawnee Mission East P.T.A.
- Junior League
- P.E.O. Sisterhood
- Homestead Country Club Board of Directors
- Long-Term Care Ethics Consortium
- COMVAC, Elder Issues Committee
- Mental Health and Aging Task Force
- "Medicaid Asset Protection," National Business Institute, July 2018
- "Initial Filing in Probate Court and Estate Timeline," National Business Institute, June 2018
- "Asset Conversion from Non-Exempt to Exempt," National Business Institute, April 2018
- "The Lookback Period and Qualifying Asset Transfer Rules" National Business Institute, April 2018
- "Special Needs Children, Special Needs Trusts," Kansas Bar Association Family Law Conference, April 2018
- "Special Needs Trusts," Johnson County Bar Association Family Law Section, Nov. 2017
- "Trust and Estate Administration," Washburn School of Law, Nov. 2017
- "Basics of Elder Law - What You Need to Know and Essential Resources," Kansas City Estate Planning Symposium, 2017
- “Changing Times ~ Changing Practices: Best Practices for Representing LGBT Families Post-Obergefell,” University of Missouri School of Law CLE, Oct. 5, 2016.
- “Elder Law and Bankruptcy,” American Bankruptcy Institute and the University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Law, Sept. 30, 2016.
- “Initiating the Probate Estate and Ethics," National Business Institute, June 27, 2016.
- "Documenting Long-Term Care, Incapacity and End-of-Life Decisions," National Business Institute CLE, June 13, 2016.
- “Safeguarding the Financial Future of Elderly Clients,” National Business Institute CLE, Feb. 3, 2016
- “The Client with Diminished Capacity,” Kansas City Estate Planning Society, Oct. 20, 2015.
- “Administration of the Estate,” National Business Institute CLE, Oct. 15, 2015.
- “Special Needs Trusts,” National Business Institute CLE, Kansas City, Missouri, May 19, 2015.
- “Medicaid Planning,” National Business Institute CLE, May 4, 2015.
- “Financial Exploitation of the Elderly,” Herbert Walton, Bench Bar Conference, Overland Park, Kansas, March 4, 2015.
- “Estate Planning for Same Sex Couples,” Washburn University School of Law, February 26, 2015.
- “Missouri Paying for Long Term Care,” PESI CLE, Kansas City, Missouri, December 12, 2014.
- “Testamentary Capacity and Issues of Undue Influence,” Probate Bench Bar, Johnson County Bar Association, November 5, 2014.
- “Twenty Mistakes in Medicaid and Special Needs Planning,” Kansas City Estate Planning Society, October 22, 2014.
- “Public Benefits and Special Needs Planning,” Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association, Kansas City, Missouri, September 19, 2014.
- “Supplemental Care Trusts,” National Business Institute CLE, Overland Park, Kansas, August 26, 2014.
- “Guardianship and Conservatorship: Response to Financial Exploitation,” Kansas Women Attorneys Association, Lindsborg, Kansas, July 25, 2014.
- “First Steps in Probate, Maintaining and Ethical Practice in Probate,” National Business Institute CLE, Overland Park, Kansas, June 23, 2014.
- “Elements of Elder Law,” Wyandotte County Bar Association, Kansas City, Kansas, May 21, 2014.
- “Public Benefits and Special Needs Trusts,” Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association, Kansas City, Missouri, May 20, 2014.