“Anne’s legal expertise, empathy and – when I needed it most – sense of humor made a painful legal situation tolerable. In the end, the matter was satisfactorily resolved and I gained enduring respect for her professionalism and knowledge. Plus, I discovered I have a lifelong friend.”
Anne Baggott is an experienced employment lawyer with a unique, blended practice representing both companies and individuals on all aspects of employment law.
Anne advises and strategically guides businesses through the complex web of workplace laws. When claims arise, she defends employers before administrative agencies and courts.
Anne also helps employees with legal problems at work. She negotiates and advises individuals on executive agreements, employment agreements, restrictive covenants, and separation packages.
Drawing on her experience representing both employers and employees, Anne conducts third-party, neutral workplace investigations of employee complaints, charges and lawsuits that allege employee or employer misconduct. Anne works with the business to assess exposure, if any, and implement recommendations noted during the investigation, all with the goal of helping companies create equal-opportunity workplaces.
- Defended claim of age discrimination and other employment torts by obtaining summary judgment of all claims in the U.S.D.C. for the District of Kansas, which the Tenth Circuit affirmed on appeal.
- Represented international manufacturer in a lawsuit seeking damages for alleged sexual orientation harassment, retaliation, and multiple employment torts. Obtained a partial grant of summary judgment and tried the remaining claims. At trial, the judge dismissed part of the case on a motion for directed verdict. The jury returned a defense verdict on the remaining claims.
- Advised clients to provide proactive advice regarding issues such as background checks, weapons in the workplace, drug and alcohol policies, leaves of absence, disability, wage and hour.
- Helped retail grocery client navigate multiple wage-and-hour and discrimination claims and lawsuits to successful resolution through dispositive motions, pre-trial litigation strategies, and favorable settlements.
- Society of Human Resource Management – Kansas City
- Director of Governmental Affairs
- Association of Workplace Investigators
- Lawyers Association of Kansas City
- Board of Directors, 2016-2019
- Young Lawyer Section, 2016-2019
- President, 2014-2015
- USLAW NETWORK
- Employment and Labor Practice, Educational Coordinator, 2021
- Kansas Bar Association
- Employment Law Executive Committee, 2016-2018
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
- Labor & Employment and Federal Courts Advocates committees
- American Bar Association
- Missouri Bar Association
- Association of Women Lawyers
- Drinks Among Friends, Kansas City
- Brookwood Education Foundation
- President, 2018-2020
- Suffolk University Law School, magna cum laude, J.D., 2005
- Bachelor of Journalism, magna cum laude, University of Missouri, 2000
- Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers, 2019
- Super Lawyers – Missouri & Kansas “Rising Stars,” 2014-2016
- “Best of the Bar” by Kansas City Business Journal, Labor & Employment, 2015-2016
- “Emotional Intelligence: How It Impacts Communications, Risk Assessment, Teamwork, Innovation and Trust in the Legal Arena,” Facilitator, USLAW Fall Client Conference, September 2021
- “Straight Talk on Vaccines for Employers and HR Professionals,” Society for Human Resource Management of Greater Kansas City, January 2021
- “Hot Topics in the Labor and Employment Industry,” USLAW Retail & Employment Law Exchange, October 2019
- “Alternative Dispute Resolution: The Advantages and Disadvantages of Arbitration and Mediation,” USLAW Fall Client Conference, September 2019
- “The New Medical Marijuana Law: The Impact on Business Employment Policies,” Missouri Bar Annual Meeting and Judicial Conference, September 2019
- “Employee Handbooks: Necessary Updates and Changes for 2018 and Beyond,” USLAW Fall Client Conference, September 2018
- “Employers’ Responsibility for Safety of Employees in the Workplace,” USLAW Employment & Labor Law Exchange, April 2018
- “Navigating Employee Leaves of Absence,” speaker, USLAW Network Client Conference, September 2017
- “Key 2017 Legislative Updates for Missouri Businesses,” speaker, Missouri Bar Annual Meeting, September 2017
- “The New Presidential and Missouri Governor Administrations – New Beginnings/New Directions,” speaker, Missouri Bar’s Employment Litigation and Policy annual CLE, June 2017
- “Sweeping Changes to the Missouri Human Rights Act,” speaker, Society for Human Resource Management–Kansas City, webinar, May 2017
- “Hot Topics in Employment Law – Leave Issues,” speaker, Society for Human Resource Management – Kansas City webinar, March 2017
- “Wellness Programs,” keynote speaker, Kansas Human Rights Commission employment law seminar, December 2016
- “Wellness Programs,” speaker, Kansas City Labor and Employment Law Institute, October 2016
- “Handling Employment Discrimination Claims,” speaker, National Business Institute, March 2016
- “Employment Law Update,” National Business Institute, March 2016
- “Protect Employees From Sexual Harassment and Discrimination,” Construction Executive, August 2020
- “Preparing to Return to Work During the Pandemic,” Missouri Lawyers Weekly, May 2020
- “OSHA Issues COVID-19 Return-to-Work Guidance for Retail, Construction, Manufacturing and Package Delivery Industries,” Occupational Health & Safety, April 2020
- “CARES Act – SBA’s Paycheck Protection Program,” Retail IT Insights, April 2020
- “COVID-19 Presents Urgent Challenges for Businesses, Industries,” Missouri Lawyers Weekly / Missouri In-House Counsel, March 2020
- Employer Relief in Missouri: Amendments Headed to the Governor, May 2017
- The Ruby Files: Part 3 – A Whisper, A Wink, and a 40-Year-Old Aptitude Flunky, Employment Relations Today, Winter 2016
- Four Policy Reviews in Your Next Employee Handbook Update, January 2017
- EEOC’s Final Wellness Regulations Take Effect Despite AARP Challenge, January 2017
- 5 Tips for Handling Employee Secret Recordings,” September 2016
- Gender-Parity Wage Protection – Recent Developments and Survey of State Laws, co-author, Employment Relations Today, July 2016
- 3 Tips to Proper Wage Withholdings Under the Kansas Wage Payment Act, March 2016