“Understanding my clients’ business and the industries they serve is imperative to me in providing the most effective legal advice so that my clients can achieve their objectives whether that means pursuing litigation or developing practical business solutions.”
David Buffo, an experienced commercial litigator, has a strong business acumen that helps him understand his clients’ needs. His decade of experience in the manufacturing industry before attending law school gives him a unique perspective and approach to legal matters. When working with businesses, David learns his clients’ businesses, and the industry as a whole, to help them achieve their objectives, understand possible outcomes of legal issues, and protect their businesses.
Working primarily in transportation and construction, David has been helping Fortune 500 companies and small businesses alike for more than 15 years. David also serves as national counsel for a Fortune 500 transportation service provider, overseeing litigation throughout the U.S. and Canada. His approach to each client matter is the same—achieve the best possible result for the client.
David represents clients in cases that will have a lasting impact on the future of their business. He has successfully represented his clients locally and nationally in various commercial matters achieving favorable outcomes whether through settlement, motion practice or trial.
- Defended a maker of commercial and residential building products against allegations of defective roofing materials.
- Defended retail management company in bench trial involving claims that a customer was injured because of dangerous parking lot conditions. The judge ruled in favor of the retail management company on all claims.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of transportation client in case involving cargo loss claims. E&S International Enterprises, Inc. v. Yellow Freight System, Inc., et al., No. CV 08-3224 PSG (JTSLx), 2009 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 9407.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of transportation client in case involving counterclaims against transportation client for cargo loss and damages in excess of $600,000 related to more than 1,200 shipments transported by client. YRC Inc. v. Royal Consumer Products LLC and Mafcote Inc., 2011 WL 3819651 (D. Conn 2011).
- Represented property owner in dispute with adjacent quarry over alleged property damage due to discharge and runoff from quarry. Achieved favorable settlement on behalf of plaintiff after only three days of a possible three-week jury trial.
- Advised commercial cleaning franchise in breach of contract, employment and non-compete disputes.
- Kansas Bar Association
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
- Missouri Bar Association
- Conference of Freight Counsel
- Transportation Lawyers Association
- University of Missouri – Kansas City School of Law, J.D., 2003
- Northern Illinois University, M.B.A., 1997
- Creighton University, B.S.B.A., 1990
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent
- Missouri Bar Pro Bono Wall of Fame, 2011
SEMINARS / PUBLICATIONS
- “Construction Law From Start to Finish,” National Business Institute, May 2018
- Author, “MAP-21 and its Impact on the Transportation Industry,” Ingram’s, February 2014
- Co-author, “Delay & Disruption,” Kansas Construction Law Handbook, Chapter 4, 2006
- Speaker, “Arranging Motor Carriage in the U.S.: Nothing to It or Is There?” Canadian Transportation Lawyers Association annual conference, Toronto, Canada 2016
- Speaker, “Staying Ahead of the Curve and Protecting Your Business: New Risk Trends and Solutions When Arranging Motor Carriage,” Roanoke Trade webinar, November 2012
- Speaker, “Adulteration of Food and Pharmaceuticals,” Transportation Lawyers Association annual conference, Carlsbad, CA. 2009