George P. Coughlin - Of Counsel
George focuses his practice in the areas of product liability, casualty insurance defense and commercial litigation. He has been retained by casualty insurers and major corporations in multi-million dollar lawsuits involving product liability, serious industrial/commercial negligence and complex business torts.
George’s clients include casualty insurers and large and medium-sized corporations, particularly manufacturers of cranes, construction and lifting equipment, pollution-control and industrial equipment, as well as manufacturers of commercial cabinetry. In addition to his substantial product liability and casualty defense experience, George also has extensive experience in matters involving the UCC, insurance coverage, business torts, shareholder disputes and complex contractual disputes.
With more than 30 years of jury trial experience in state and federal courts throughout the U.S., George has won verdicts and judgments in Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma and Arizona. He has also successfully prosecuted and defended numerous commercial arbitration claims.
George is admitted to practice before the U.S. Supreme Court, Missouri Supreme Court, U.S. Courts of Appeal for the Eighth and Tenth Circuits, and the U.S. District Courts for the Western District of Missouri and the Eastern District of Missouri as well as the District of Kansas.
- Lead trial defense counsel for national crane manufacturers in product liability cases involving death or serious injuries. The cases resulted in defense verdicts or judgments or favorable settlements for the manufacturers.
- Lead trial defense counsel for national equipment manufacturers in product liability cases in Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma and Arizona. The cases involved death or serious injuries and resulted in defense verdicts or judgments or favorable settlements for the manufacturers.
- Lead trial counsel for coal producers in breach of contract actions in Oklahoma and Missouri against utilities. Resulted in the recovery of millions of dollars.
- Lead trial defense counsel for insurers and insureds in numerous casualty cases in Missouri and Kansas involving serious injuries and resulting in defense verdicts or favorable settlements.
- Lead trial counsel for national fastener company in action in Kansas involving serious injury which resulted in a judgment for the company.
- Lead trial defense counsel for insurer and national crane leasing company in Missouri case involving fatality. Case resulted in favorable settlement for the insurer and the leasing company.
- Lead trial defense counsel for trustees of family trust in Missouri in which a bank sought millions against the trust. The defense resulted in a favorable judgment for the trustees.
- The Missouri Bar
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
- Missouri Organization of Defense Lawyers
- KC Regional Commercial Advisory Council of the American Arbitration Association
- Litigation Counsel of America
- Defense Research Institute
- Agricultural, Construction, Mining and Industrial Equipment Litigation Group
- Scaffolding, Cranes and Aerial Devices Litigation Group
- Product Liability Committee
- Trial Tactics and Techniques Committee
- Somerset Valley Homes Association
- Past president and board member
- Country Club Homes Association
- Past president and board member
- St. Thomas More Catholic Church
- Volunteer and Sunday usher
- Co-authored “Component Part Manufacturer and Bulk Supplier Liability in Products Liability Cases: a Fifty-State Survey,” published by the Products Liability Litigation Committee of the Section of Litigation of the American Bar Association (1999).