“John has been instrumental in guiding our company through the formation process and assisting with the preparation of documentation for our capital raising. Working with John is a pleasure as he responds promptly, communicates clearly, always delivers on his promises and provides added value to our work.”
For more than a decade, John Thompson has guided businesses through identifying their objectives and developed structured business plans to meet their goals.
John’s practice focuses on business and corporate law. He helps lending institutions, corporations, family businesses, entrepreneurs and investors eliminate risks associated with corporate transactions. He advises clients on complex commercial financing transactions, mergers and acquisitions, and corporate and debt restructurings. John also helps individuals and businesses plan for the future with estate planning and business succession services.
Clients turn to John to serve as lead counsel in commercial financing transactions related to problem loan workouts, default resolution, debt restructurings, commercial foreclosures and bankruptcy proceedings. For example, he provided legal due diligence and investment analysis on private equity investments for a China-focused investment manager with approximately $300 million in assets under management, in which he was responsible for securities laws compliance and assisting the general counsel in the legal activities of the funds.
John is admitted to practice in Missouri, Kansas and Nebraska.
- Experience handling a wide variety of corporate transactions, including acquisitions, private placements, and secured financings.
- Regularly advises lending institutions on the structure and negotiation of real estate backed financings, including office buildings, shopping centers, multi-family complexes, hotels and mixed-use projects.
- Represents lenders and borrowers in all matters surrounding distressed commercial loans, including foreclosure and bankruptcy litigation, restructuring and workouts, deed-in-lieu of foreclosures, and disposition of distressed assets.
- Routinely advises businesses and their owners in a variety of transactional and regulatory matters, including employment matters, capital raising, corporate structure, compensation and retention policies, acquisitions, and exit and succession planning.
- Assists clients with wealth transfer planning and business formation.
- Assists business owners and medical practitioners with the evaluation and implementation of corporate pension plans, as well as, portfolio construction and strategies for investing the assets therein.
- Provided legal due diligence and investment analysis on private equity investments for China-focused investment manager with approximately $300 million assets under management. Responsible for securities laws compliance and assisting the general counsel in the legal activities of the funds.
- The Missouri Bar
- The Kansas Bar Association
- University of Kansas School of Law, J.D., 2007
- Kansas State University, B.S., cum laude, Business Administration, 2003
- CARES Act – SBA’s Paycheck Protection Program, Retail IT Insights, April 2020