“Before taking action on behalf of a client, I listen carefully and ask questions to understand their issues and analyze the best course of action for them. Communication and understanding are key in the attorney-client relationship.”
Kent Bevan has significant experience creating successful results for clients regarding insurance matters, coverage analysis, liability claims and property damage cases. He focuses his practice in the fields of insurance law and litigation, as well as transportation and logistics.
Kent enjoys learning how clients operate, working to understand their business objectives and goals and helping develop the best strategy to move them forward. Clients often seek counsel from him on precedent-setting cases that protect the future of their businesses. For example, he successfully defended a coverage dispute involving lost data on a system of programmable logic computers and PCs, saving the client $3 million in exposure. In addition, Kent has argued appellate cases in the Missouri Court of Appeals, Missouri Supreme Court, Federal and State Trial Courts in Missouri and Kansas, and the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals.
He is a former managing director of Dysart Taylor. In addition to practicing law full time, Kent served as a reserve officer in the Army Judge Advocate General’s Corp concluding his military career as a Colonel.
- Defended and resolved personal injury cases involving truck collisions and automobiles.
- Successfully defended a coverage dispute involving lost data on a system of programmable logic computers and PCs, saving the client $3 million in exposure. This judgment was affirmed by the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals in Denver.
- In a subrogation recovery case, Kent obtained a settlement of nearly $750,000 for a local restaurant in a national chain that sustained damage.
- Represented plaintiffs in a case resulting in a multi-million dollar verdict, which was affirmed on appeal by the State Supreme Court.
- Represented a number of insurance companies in defending property, casualty, liability, wrongful death cases and coverage disputes.
- Argued appellate cases in the Missouri Court of Appeals, Missouri Supreme Court, Federal and State Trial Courts in Missouri and Kansas, and the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Defended a multimillion dollar construction case and resolved for a minimal settlement with no admission of fault.
- Defended a personal injury case where the plaintiff was demanding $3 million in damages. The case was resolved for a minimal settlement with no admission of fault.
- American Bar Association
- The Missouri Bar
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
- Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee
- Circuit Court Committee
- Lawyer’s Association of Kansas City
- Missouri Organization of Defense Lawyers
- Property Loss Research Bureau
- Western Loss Association
- Greater Kansas City Chamber of Commerce
- Greater Kansas City Claims Association
- USLAW Insurance and Risk Management, Conference Call Participant
- University of Missouri-Kansas City, J.D., 1974
- University of Missouri-Kansas City, B.A., 1972
- AV® Preeminent™ rating by Martindale-Hubbell
- Monthly insurance law alerts on current case decisions of interest
- “Missouri Appeals Court Upholds Owned-Vehicle Uninsured Motorist Exclusion,” Insurance Journal, June 2020
- “To Stack or Not to Stack: What Happens When a Contract Term is Not Defined?” Insurance Journal, February 2020
- “7 Tips for E-Discovery Compliance for Insurers,” USLAW Magazine, Fall/Winter 2017
- “Protecting Against Frivolous Allegations of Bad Faith,” USLAW Magazine, Fall/Winter 2016
- Property Loss Research Bureau, Member and Presenter on E-Discovery and the Insurance Adjuster
- In-house presentations to clients on various legal topics