“Lawyers are problem solvers. To be a problem solver, they must not only be competent at what they do, but they must also have the trust and confidence of their client.”
Bob Cotter is a highly regarded litigator with extensive experience representing many of the nation’s largest aviation and insurance companies and their insureds.
Bob has successfully defended cases involving wrongful death, personal injury and property damage in state and federal courts throughout the Midwest. For example, Bob successfully obtained a $25 million defense verdict in a Missouri state court and a $50 million defense verdict in a Kansas federal court in which the damages were uncontested. In addition, he advises numerous small and medium-sized businesses on various corporate matters as an outside general counsel. Bob is also on the Board of Directors of several companies and serves as a Trustee.
Other attorneys regularly ask Bob to mediate high-exposure commercial, personal injury and wrongful death cases. He has also served as an arbitrator with the American Arbitration Association in substantial commercial cases throughout the Midwest.
- Handled a $23 million defense verdict in a Missouri state court and a $50 million defense verdict in a Kansas federal court in which the damages were uncontested.
- Obtained one of the largest verdicts in the State of Kansas in an aviation subrogation case on behalf of an aircraft manufacturer and its insurer.
- Had an Arbitration Award upheld by the Kansas Court of Appeals.
- American Bar Association
- Aviation Committee
- The Missouri Bar
- Aviation Committee
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
- Missouri Organization of Defense Lawyers
- Board of Directors, 2008-present
- American Arbitration Association
- Commercial Panel
- Defense Research Organization
- Rockhurst University
- Board of Regents
- Alumni Association, Past President
- Joseph Health Center
- Advisory Board, Past President
- Seton Center
- Legal Clinic
- University of Missouri-Kansas City, J.D., with distinction, 1976
- Rockhurst University, B.A., cum laude, 1973
- AV® Preeminent™ rating by Martindale-Hubbell
- Selected for the Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers list, 2005-2018
- Kansas City Business Journal’s Best of the Bar, 2011
SEMINARS / PUBLICATIONS
- “Navigating the Pros and Cons of Arbitration,” Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association (KCMBA) 2015 Bench-Bar & Boardroom Conference, Branson, MO, May 2015
- “Damages for Pre-Impact Fear in Aviation Cases,” SMU Air Law Symposium, March 2013
- “Basics of Arbitration,” American Arbitration Association
- “NTSB Investigations,” SMU Air Law Symposium