“Joe has guided me through a legal maze at what was the most difficult time in my life. He continues to provide me with guidance, direction, and understandable explanations as I sort through complex financial arrangements that are well beyond my competence.”
Forty-one years into his practice, Joe Price draws on decades of experience helping businesses and individuals plan for their future through estate planning, tax planning, business succession planning and wealth preservation.
Joe occupies a unique position in the Kansas City estate planning community. He is one of only five individuals who has been elected as a Fellow of the American College of Tax and Estate Counsel (ACTEC) and as an inductee into the Kansas City Estate Planning Society Hall of Fame.
Joe had the privilege of working with great mentors early in his career and has spent decades giving back to the community by serving as an adjunct professor at the UMKC School of Law and as Chairman of the Student Development Committee of the Kansas City Estate Planning Symposium which provides scholarships and internships to law students.
Joe has served in leadership positions at several large firms. His experiences and responsibilities included managing estate planning and tax law departments. Additionally, he was the executive vice president of BryanMark Financial Group, the Saint Louis office of the M Financial Group which specialized in estate planning and asset preservation purposes.
- Represented several clients in significant lifetime giving transactions.
- Advised clients in life insurance for estate planning and asset preservation purposes.
- Represented several clients and/or assisted in the resolution of trust or estate disputes.
- American College of Trust and Estate Counsel (ACTEC)
- Fellow, 2003-present
- Estate Planning Society of Kansas City
- President, 2014-2015
- Recent Developments in Federal Taxes
- Chairman and Moderator, 2010-present
- Kansas City Estate Planning Symposium
- Chairman, 2005
- Chairman, Exhibitors & Underwriter Committee, 2009-present
- Member, Program Committee, 1998-present
- UMKC School of Law
- Adjunct Professor, 1998-present
- Heart of America Tax Institute
- Member, 1986-1996
- The Inside Scoop, a KU Basketball online newsletter
- Co-Founder, 2013-present
- Boalt School of Law, University of California – Berkeley, J.D., 1978
- University of Kansas, B.A. with distinction, 1975
The Best Lawyers in America, 2007-present
- Hall of Fame of the Estate Planning Society of Kansas City, 2018
- Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers, 2017-2019
- American College of Trust and Estate Counsel Fellow
- “Intermediate Estate Planning 2021,” Kansas City Estate Planning Symposium, January 2021
- “Issues and Considerations Regarding Using Trust vs. Wills; Importance of Trustee Selection,” Kansas City Estate Planning Symposium Fundamentals seminar, 2017
- “The Ever-Expanding Role of IRAs and Qualified Retirement Plans in the Estate Planning Process,” Kansas City Estate Planning Symposium Fundamentals seminar, 2013-2014
- “Anatomy of Life Insurance Policies and Annuities” ACTEC Heart of America Regional Meeting, May 2013
- “When the Model Rules Collide with Real World Behavior,” 34th Annual Recent Developments in Federal Taxes seminar, Kansas City, MO, February 2013
- “The Multi-Generation IRA,” The American College, Bryn Mawr, PA, June 1999
- “The Uses of Life Insurance with Pass-Through Entities,” ALI-ABA, 1995 – 1998
- “The Uses of Life Insurance with S Corporations,” ALI-ABA, 1993 – 1994
- “If the Democratic Tax Bill Passes, Will It Be Retroactive to January 1, 2021?” Advisor Perspectives, July 2021
- “If the Democratic Tax Bill Passes, Will It Be Retroactive to January 1, 2021?” InsuranceNewsNet, July 2021
- “What Will Happen To The Tax Laws After The Election?” InsuranceNewsNet and AdvisorNews, November 2020
- “Employee Relief Funds and Disaster Relief Payments,” HR Legal & Compliance Excellence, August 2020
- “What’s Keeping You Sane? Our Readers Share With Us,” USLAW Magazine, Summer 2020
- “Essential Estate Planning Documents During the Pandemic,” Advisor Perspectives, July 2020
- “Paycheck Protection Program Loan Help,” HR Legal & Compliance Excellence, June 2020
- “The New Paycheck Protection Program Flexibility Act Helps a Lot of Borrowers. But Does It Help You?” TLNT Magazine, June 2020
- “How Clients Can Raise Cash During the Pandemic,” Advisor Perspectives, June 2020
- “KC Attorney: You Still Need to Worry About Those PPP Loans Under $2M,” Kansas City Business Journal, May 2020
- “CARES Act – SBA’s Paycheck Protection Program,” Retail IT Insights, April 2020
- “How Estate Plans Fail,” Private Wealth, March 2020
- “What Will Congress Do With the Stretch IRA?” Ingram’s magazine, Oct. 2019
- “Asset Protection Trusts: Expensive for You, Cheap for Your Children,” Dec. 2019
- “Why an LLC Might Not be Right for Your Business,” Thinking Bigger Business Media, Jan. 2016
- “Investing in Real Estate: Tax Considerations from Reagan to Now,” Thinking Bigger Business Media, Jan. 2016
- “Covering Your Assets: A Primer on Asset Protection,” USLAW NETWORK Magazine, Sept. 2015
- “Four Dangers of Do-It-Yourself Legal Counsel,” Thinking Bigger Business Media, Sept. 2015
- “Putting the Increased Estate Tax Exemption to Work,” ALI-ABA Probate & Property, May/June 2012
- “Selecting the Right Fringe Benefit Plan for the Closely-Held Business,” Missouri Business Law Quarterly, Summer 1998