Pat McMonigle is widely recognized by his peers and clients as a premier litigator and counselor consistently motivated to obtain the best results for his clients through thorough and persistent focus upon the success of his clients. His skill and ethics have been regularly recognized by various peer groups and rating associations as being among the very best in the business.
Pat uses his decades of experience as a trial attorney to successfully litigate a wide spectrum of civil disputes in state and federal courts involving many major public and private businesses, including those involving the truck transportation, construction, real estate and insurance industries. A past president of the Transportation Lawyers Association, Pat has more than four decades of experience that allows him to offer regional casualty and safety counsel to a substantial and constantly growing number of the most successful transportation companies in the country.
Clients retain Pat for cases that will determine their future. He has obtained successful trial results for clients in multi-million dollar cases in state and Federal courts and involving a wide spectrum of claims and disputes..
Pat began his career at Dysart Taylor as a law student intern following his first year of law school at the University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Law. He joined the firm as an associate attorney upon his graduation, and was made a shareholder and director of the firm in his fourth year of practice. Pat has been instrument in the firm’s growth and diversity for more than four decades, and currently serves as President of the firm’s Board of Directors.
- Represented a major developer in a commercial lending claim that resulted in a $5.1 million verdict against one of the largest publicly traded companies in the U.S. Pat obtained one of the ten largest verdicts in the state of Missouri in the year 2000. This verdict was believed to be the largest verdict ever awarded by a Saline County, MO jury.
- Lead trial counsel for a major interstate trucking company in a landmark case involving a runaway negligent commercial truck driver. The negligent driver’s reckless actions caused the death of another truck driver and an innocent driver of a passenger vehicle. The runaway truck driver and his employer were identified through utilization of satellite communications records. The records showed the responsible driver’s logs to be grossly altered and false. The driver and his employer were successfully prosecuted in a civil case.
- Engaged in civil fraud investigations prosecutions, which recovered millions of dollars for innocent victims, for both individuals and businesses. Pat uncovered and exposed fraudulent insurance claims in the motion picture industry involving multiple claims for the same losses against multiple insurers.
- Assisted local communities with matters ranging from water rights to police protection. The positive results obtained have brought about significant developments in local government law.
- Transportation Lawyers Association
- President, 2011-2012
- Trucking Industry Defense Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Missouri Organization of Defense Lawyers
- The Missouri Bar
- Insurance Committee
- Tort and Transportation Law Committee
- Vice Chair
- Former Chair
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
- University of Missouri-Kansas City, J.D., with distinction, 1978
- Southeast Missouri State University, B.S., cum laude, 1974
- AV® Preeminent™ rating by Martindale-Hubbell
The Best Lawyers in America, 2016-present
- Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers, 2005-present
- Transportation Lawyers Association Distinguished Service Award, 1998
SEMINARS / PUBLICATIONS
- Co-author of USLAW Transportation Compendium for Missouri, 2016-present
- Speaker at numerous international and regional conferences and webinars for the Transportation Lawyers Association.
- “Freight Broker Liability for Truck Accidents,” Arkansas Trucking Conference, 2017
- “Rapid Response to Truck Accidents,” Transportation Law Institute, 2014
- “Mediation Preparation and Techniques,” Arkansas Trucking Conference, 2008
- “Mediation Techniques,” American Arbitration Association webinar, 2007
- Numerous presentations to transportation industry groups