“My experience as an attorney has taught me that justice is less the end result and more the opportunity to go through the process. I relish the opportunity to guide clients through the legal process and ensure that they get their day in court.”
As a former prosecutor, Sydney Paquette is a seasoned litigator who handles complex civil cases.
With more than 45 jury trials, in both state and federal court, Sydney is an experienced trial attorney who focuses her work in civil litigation and defending companies and individuals in the transportation and logistics industries. She has extensive experience handling all facets of pretrial litigation, discovery and trial work, including witness preparation and depositions.
Prior to joining Dysart Taylor, Sydney was a prosecutor for the City of Overland Park where she served as a trial attorney for municipal ordinance violations, including DUIs, theft, battery and traffic charges at the city level as well as District Court appeals. She also gained vast experience defending individuals in various civil cases.
Sydney also has more than a decade of experience as an assistant prosecuting attorney for the Jackson County Prosecutor’s Office and as a special assistant U.S. attorney for the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Western District of Missouri. There she had direct involvement in all stages of prosecution, including grand jury proceedings, pretrial hearings, trial and post-trial motions.
- Significant courtroom experience including more than 45 jury trials in both state and federal courts.
- Served the citizens of Jackson County as lead prosecutor in multiple homicide, assault and sex crimes trials.
- Led a long-term federal gang investigation involving drug and gun trafficking in the Kansas City metropolitan area and Sedalia, Missouri that included multiple wiretaps and resulted in the indictment and prosecution of more than 60 individuals.
- Served on multiple committees as a Local 42 member, including contract negotiations.
- Served as an instructor for the Child Protection Network, a collaborative group including the Jackson County Prosecutor’s Office, the Kansas City, Missouri Police Department, Missouri Children’s Division, Children’s Mercy Hospital and the Child Protection Center.
- The Missouri Bar Association
- Kansas Bar Association
- The Johnson County Bar Association
- Johnson County Bar Foundation Trustee
- Association of Women Lawyers
- Golf Committee Member, 2019
- Mentor at the KU Law School “Speed Mentoring” event, 2019
- Mentor at the Women’s Trial Institute, 2018
- Country Club Christian Church
- Jackson County CASA Volunteer, 2010-2016
- University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Law, J.D., 2004
- University of Kansas, B.S., Journalism, 2001
- Jackson County Prosecutor’s Office Rookie of the Year, 2005