“Michael and his team at Dysart Taylor have always been there for YRC Worldwide and its subsidiaries. Whether taking the early morning emergency call to conduct an on-scene investigation, or putting together a comprehensive litigation strategy to take a matter through trial, you can depend on his years of experience in the transportation industry to provide you and your company with unparalleled guidance.”
Michael Judy enjoys building relationships with clients while developing defense and corporate strategies that build a foundation for their future.
Michael has a passion for advancing a client’s business objectives, whether that means defending trucking companies and their drivers against personal injury and wrongful death lawsuits, advising transportation industry clients on key aspects of their business, or guiding clients to favorable results in defending claims against large and small entities at the local, regional, and national level in the retail and hospitality industry.
Clients often look to Michael to handle cases that protect their business plans and goals. For example, he obtained summary judgment for a national office supply chain in an injury case in which the plaintiff claimed damages in excess of $500,000.
As a member of Dysart Taylor’s rapid response team, Michael coordinates defense and investigation activities in transportation accidents, obtaining valuable information that significantly reduces litigation exposure for clients. In addition, he consults with clients to implement risk management procedures, helping reduce their exposure to future litigation.
- Successfully defends retail clients against personal injury claims, including slip and fall claims, wrongful death actions, automobile collisions, and allegations of food-borne illnesses.
- Obtained Summary Judgment for a national office supply chain on a claim in which the plaintiff claimed damages in excess of $500,000.
- Obtained a recovery of nearly $100,000 for a transportation broker involving a complex cargo loss without filing suit, thereby saving his client substantial court costs and attorneys’ fees.
- Negotiated a settlement in a personal injury lawsuit filed against a trucking company that saved his clients over $600,000.
- Obtained a dismissal of a lawsuit filed against a national airline in a case in which the Plaintiffs sought over $400,000 in damages.
- American Bar Association
- The Missouri Bar
- Kansas Bar Association
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
- Lawyer’s Association of Kansas City
- Board of Directors, 2015-present
- Young Lawyers Section
- Board of Directors, 2009-2013
- President, 2012-13
- Vice President, 2011-12
- USLAW Network
- Young Leaders Steering Committee, 2017-present
- Ross T. Roberts Inns of Court Program, participant
- Missouri Organization of Defense Lawyers
- Trial Academy participant
- Transportation Lawyers Association
- Children’s Center for the Visually Impaired
- 20/20 Club
- President, 2016-2017
- Vice-President, 2015-2016
- Board of Directors, 2015-present
- Young Professionals Board of Directors, 2010-present
- Treasurer, 2011-present
- Trolley Run Kid’s Run Co-Chair, 2013
- 20/20 Club
- Greater Kansas City Chamber of Commerce Centurions Program, Class of 2015
- United Way of Greater Kansas City Governance Academy, Class of 2017
- University of Missouri-Columbia School of Law, J.D., 2006
- Saint Louis University, B.A., cum laude, 2003
- Selected to the Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers–Rising Stars Edition list, 2012-2015, 2017-2018
- “How to Account for Hindsight Bias in Defending Your Claims,” 2018 TLA Regional Seminar and Bootcamp, Chicago, Il.
- “The Art (and Bureacracy) of Claims: Perspective from an In-House Claims Team,” TIDA Annual Seminar, Oct. 2018
- “Reserve or Not to Reserve,” USLAW Real Estate & Hospitality Exchange, Oct. 2018
- “Avoiding the Crisis Developing Within Your Case: When Lack of the Latest Technology is Used Against the Motor Carrier,” USLAW Spring Conference, April 2018
- “Implications of the most recent accident avoidance and event data gathering technology on commercial motor vehicle accident litigation,” Transportation Lawyers Association Annual Meeting, April 2017
- “Negligent Security: Do as I Say…Not as I Do,” USLAW Retail & Hospitality Law/Complex Tort & Product Liability Exchange, Oct. 2017
- “Collaboration and Cooperation Between Attorneys and Paralegals,” Kansas City Paralegal Association, Sept. 2017
- Michael regularly presents safety seminars to the firm’s trucking and insurance clients.
- “Accident Avoidance and Event Data Gathering Technology in Transportation Litigation,” USLAW Magazine, Fall/Winter 2017
- “Can You Rely on DTI?,” Co-author, In Transit, July 2014