“Michael and his team at Dysart Taylor have always been there for YRC Worldwide and its subsidiaries. Whether taking the early morning emergency call to conduct an on-scene investigation, or putting together a comprehensive litigation strategy to take a matter through trial, you can depend on his years of experience in the transportation industry to provide you and your company with unparalleled guidance.”
Michael Judy knows that a strong relationship with his client is the key to success. When Michael represents a client, he focuses on more than just handling the matter at hand. He concentrates on how his actions will impact his client’s longterm goals. Whether he’s defending a trucking company in a catastrophic personal injury or wrongful death lawsuit, counseling transportation industry clients on key aspects of their business or advising clients on risk management policies and procedures, Michael knows that a strong relationship with his clients and a unified pursuit of his clients’ interests will lead to a more successful result.
At heart, Michael is a litigator. He represents companies and insurers in the transportation, retail and hospitality industries at the local, regional and national levels.
As a member of Dysart Taylor’s rapid response team, Michael coordinates defense and investigation activities in transportation accidents, obtaining valuable information that significantly reduces litigation exposure for clients. In addition, he consults with clients in the implementation of risk management procedures, which help reduce their exposure to future litigation. Michael also routinely conducts presentations and leads roundtable discussions with his clients on deposition to assist his clients to reduce their exposure in personal injury claims across the country.
- Handles rapid response matters for some of the biggest names in the transportation industry, including coordinating the initial investigation, working with experts to recreate the scene, preserving evidence, locating witnesses and representing clients through trial.
- Represents clients in the transportation and retail/hospitality industries in a wide range of litigation matters, including multiple jury trials in state and federal courts throughout Kansas and Missouri.
- Consults with clients on a national and regional level to develop protocols and procedures ranging from evidence preservation, rapid response protocols, risk mitigation and deposition preparation.
- Routinely speaks at and conducts seminars at transportation and retail/hospitality conferences focused on litigation strategy and management.
- American Bar Association
- The Missouri Bar
- Kansas Bar Association
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
- Lawyer’s Association of Kansas City
- Board of Directors, 2015-2020
- Ross T. Roberts Inns of Court Program
- Missouri Organization of Defense Lawyers
- Trial Academy participant
- Transportation Lawyers Association
- USLAW Network
- Casualty Committee, Co-Vice Chair, 2020
- Young Leaders Steering Committee, 2017-present
- Children’s Center for the Visually Impaired
- 20/20 Club
- President, 2016-2017
- Vice-President, 2015-2016
- Board of Directors, 2015-present
- Young Professionals Board of Directors, 2010-present
- Treasurer, 2011-present
- Trolley Run Kid’s Run Co-Chair, 2013
- 20/20 Club
- Greater Kansas City Chamber of Commerce Centurions Program, Class of 2015
- United Way of Greater Kansas City Governance Academy, Class of 2017
- University of Missouri-Columbia School of Law, J.D., 2006
- Saint Louis University, B.A., cum laude, 2003
- Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers Rising Stars, 2012-2015, 2017-2019
- “How to Account for Hindsight Bias in Defending Your Claims,” 2018 TLA Regional Seminar and Bootcamp, Chicago, Il.
- “The Art (and Bureacracy) of Claims: Perspective from an In-House Claims Team,” TIDA Annual Seminar, Oct. 2018
- “Reserve or Not to Reserve,” USLAW Real Estate & Hospitality Exchange, Oct. 2018
- “Avoiding the Crisis Developing Within Your Case: When Lack of the Latest Technology is Used Against the Motor Carrier,” USLAW Spring Conference, April 2018
- “Implications of the most recent accident avoidance and event data gathering technology on commercial motor vehicle accident litigation,” Transportation Lawyers Association Annual Meeting, April 2017
- “Negligent Security: Do as I Say…Not as I Do,” USLAW Retail & Hospitality Law/Complex Tort & Product Liability Exchange, Oct. 2017
- “Collaboration and Cooperation Between Attorneys and Paralegals,” Kansas City Paralegal Association, Sept. 2017
- Michael regularly presents safety seminars to the firm’s trucking and insurance clients.
- “COVID-19 Force Majeure Compendium of Law,” Kansas, USLAW NETWORK, June 2020
- “Accident Avoidance and Event Data Gathering Technology in Transportation Litigation,” USLAW Magazine, Fall/Winter 2017
- “Can You Rely on DTI?,” Co-author, In Transit, July 2014