Lee B. Brumitt - Shareholder/Director
Lee is licensed to practice in Missouri and Kansas.
Lee focuses his practice in construction law and litigation. He represents owners, contractors, subcontractors, suppliers and design professionals on public, commercial and residential projects. He recently served as the chairman of the National Attorneys’ Counsel and is general counsel for the Kansas City Chapter the of American Subcontractors Association. Lee shares experiences and lessons learned in the construction trenches on his blog, Mo-Kan Construction Law.
In addition to handling pure construction matters, Lee has extensive experience with insurance litigation, insurance coverage issues, and defending construction defect, personal injury, and property damage claims. He has also litigated cases in bankruptcy and probate courts and regularly advises clients on general business matters.
Lee has successfully tried a number of cases in state and federal courts and has appeared in arbitrations, mediations and other administrative forums. He maintains an AV® Preeminent™ rating by Martindale-Hubbell and has been named to the Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers list every year since 2005.
- Represented construction trade organizations before the Missouri Supreme Court in a case resulting in a major victory protecting mechanic’s lien rights of contractors.
- Successfully prosecuted hundreds of mechanic’s lien, bond, and contract claims on behalf of construction trades, including:
- Countertops and casework
- Concrete flatwork and foundations
- Asphalt and outside surfaces
- Arena seating
- Underground utility products
- Heavy equipment leasing
- Obtained a jury verdict fully exonerating the seller of a business accused of fraud and misrepresentation and assessing substantial damages against the buyers of the business and the seller’s counsel.
- Obtained a jury verdict fully vindicating the insured transporter of agricultural products from negligence claims arising from catastrophic injuries sustained by the Plaintiff in a motor vehicle accident.
- Successfully defended a creditor of Enron from substantial fraudulent transfer and preference claims asserted in a New York bankruptcy court.
- Obtained a jury verdict in federal court assessing substantial damages against an interstate media company for injuries sustained by client at an NCAA tournament event.
- The Missouri Bar
- Kansas Bar Association
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
- Construction Law Committee
- American Subcontractors Association - Kansas City Chapter
- Chairman, National Attorneys' Council
- Board Attorney
- Construction Lawyers Society of America
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Greater Kansas City
- Endowment Trustee, 2008-present
- Board of Directors, President, 1995
- Country Club Christian Church
- General Counsel
- Chair of Congregational Board, 2005-2006
- Rotary International Club 13 of Kansas City, Missouri
- Paul Harris Fellow
- Mo-Kan Construction Law blog
- "Eliminate or Reduce Financial Impact of Retainage," Construction Legal Edge, Summer 2017
- “Scratching the Surface of Controlled Insurance Programs,” USLAW Magazine, Spring/Summer 2016
- USLAW Compendiums of Law – Construction, 2016
- "Eliminate or Reduce Financial Impact of Retainage," The Contractor's Compass, May 2015
- “Mechanic’s Lien Rights,” The Contractor's Compass, Sept. 2013
- "Kansas Passes Retainage Reform Legislation," The Addendum, Sept. 2010
- "Missouri Enacts Changes to Mechanic's Lien Law Construction," The Addendum, Aug. 2010
- "Kansas Legislature Closes 'Additional Insured' Loophole," Kansas Bar Journal (Construction Law Section), June 2009
- "Residential Construction Defects," The Addendum, Nov. 2006
- "Missouri Addresses Payment of Retainage," The Addendum, March 2004
- "A Narrow Victory for Subcontractors," The Addendum, July 2001
- “Dealing with Change and Delay on Construction Projects,” ABC/ASPE Kansas City Construction Estimating Academy, Feb. 2019
- “Misclassification of Employees as Independent Contractors,” Kansas City American Subcontractors Association, Feb. 2019
- “Preserving and Advancing Contractors’ Payment Rights,” National Association for Women in Construction, Jan. 2019
- “Killer Contracts: Red Flags and Revisions,” Kansas City American Subcontractor's Association (KCASA), Dec. 2018
- "Retainage: Don't Just Kiss it Off," Kansas City American Subcontractor's Association (KCASA), Dec. 2018
- "Construction Law From Start to Finish," National Business Institute, May 2018
- "Legal Tools for Payment on Construction Projects.” Kansas City Estimating Academy, American Builders and Contractors-Heart of America and the American Society of Professional Estimators, Feb. 2018
- "Indemnity and Hold Harmless," American Subcontractors Association, Jan. 2018
- “Change Orders and Extra Work: Payment Issues Disentangled in MO and KS," National Business Institute, June 2017
- "What Every Contractor Needs to Know: Mechanic's Liens, Bond Claims, & Waivers in Kansas & Missouri," Construction Business Institute, June 2017
- "What Every Contractor Needs to Know: Mechanic's Liens, Bond Claims, & Waivers in Kansas & Missouri," Johnson County Contractor's Licensing Seminar, Oct. 2016
- "Misclassification of Employees as Contractors," The Builder's Association, Sept. 2016
- "Five Minute Drill on Kansas Statutes," USLAW NETWORK Client Conference, April 2016
- "Preserving and Advancing a Contractor's Rights in Collection," The Builder's Association Management Academy, Oct. 2015
- "Dispute Resolution Provisions," Kansas City American Subcontractor's Association (KCASA), Feb. 2015
- "The Ground Rules of Mechanic's Liens," Kansas City American Subcontractor's Association (KCASA), Jan. 2015
- "Lien Waivers: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly," The Builder’s Association 2014 Estimating & Management Academies, Feb. and May 2014
- "Managing Delay on Construction Projects," KCASA, April 2014
- "The Basics of Bond Claims," KCASA, Feb. 2014
- "Prevailing Wage 101," KCASA, Sept. 2013
- "Unlocking Retainage," KCASA, Feb. 2013; Builder’s Association Estimating Academy, Oct. 2014
- "Keeping Collections Affordable," KCASA, May 2012
- "Guarding Against Backcharges," KCASA, April 2012
- "Lien Waivers," KCASA, March 2012
- "Disciplinary Actions Against Professional Engineers & Architects," Half Moon Seminars, December 2005