Matthew W. Geary - Shareholder/Director
Matt is licensed to practice in all state courts in Missouri and Kansas, the U.S. District Courts for the Western District of Missouri and the District of Kansas, and the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Matt focuses his practice on civil litigation. His experience includes both jury and non-jury trials. Matt has also prepared numerous appellate briefs and argued before various appellate courts.
Prior to joining Dysart Taylor, Matt was a law clerk to the Honorable Patricia Breckenridge, of the Missouri Court of Appeals, Western District. While in law school, Matt was a legal intern for the Honorable David J. Waxse, Magistrate for the U.S. District Court for the District of Kansas.
- Successfully represented a commercial real estate developer in breach of fiduciary duty case resulting in settlements in excess of $1 million.
- Successfully defended company who was sued by a former shareholder in breach of fiduciary duty case, which resulted in dismissal of the case.
- Successfully defended a city in a zoning and building permit case, which resulted in favorable decision from the appellate court.
- Argued more than 10 appellate cases in Missouri and Kansas, and prepared numerous appellate briefs.
- Represented public utilities and rural electric cooperatives in matters relating to injury and property damage claims, bankruptcy, billing disputes and administrative matters.
- Represents a group developing rail trails in matters concerning property rights, land use and administrative matters before the Surface Transportation Board.
- Experience in insurance defense representing both insureds and insurance companies in first party insurance disputes.
- Drafted real estate contracts, leases, easements and other agreements in connection with real estate transactions with private and governmental entities.
- Represented clients in matters concerning the interaction between federal and state laws, including cases related to HIPAA, No Child Left Behind, Rails to Trails, and motor carriers.
- Kansas Bar Association
- The Missouri Bar
- Missouri Municipal Attorneys Association
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
- Missouri Organization of Defense Lawyers
- Lawyers Association of Kansas City
- Young Lawyers Section
- Treasurer, 2009-2011
- Board of Directors, 2007-2011
- Skippy and Skivvies (to benefit Operation Breakthrough), Committee Chair, 2008-2009
- Young Lawyers Section
- City of Roeland Park, Kansas
- Parks and Trees Committee, former Chairman
- Youth soccer and baseball coach
- Cub Scout Pack 3348, Prairie Village, Kansas