“It is important to me as an attorney to thoroughly evaluate and face each lawsuit’s unique complexities and challenges to achieve the best result for my clients.”
Matthew Geary is a civil litigator known for his ability to see the complexities of clients’ legal issues. His experience and knowledge of his clients’ businesses help him build creative legal strategies and solutions that lead to results. Matt’s experience includes both jury and nonjury trials, and arbitrations. Matt also has extensive appellate experience briefing and arguing cases before the United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit, Missouri Supreme Court, Kansas Supreme Court, and intermediate appellate courts in Missouri and Kansas.
Matt has more than 18 years’ experience representing clients in a wide array of civil disputes, including cases involving product liability defense, insurance coverage, the Uniform Commercial Code, real estate and land use disputes, general business disputes, and defense of general personal injury negligence matters. Clients look to Matt to handle important cases that protect their future. Matt has obtained successful results for clients in cases with millions of dollars at stake across a broad spectrum of industries.
Matt joined Dysart Taylor in 2002 and was made a shareholder and director of the firm in 2008. Prior to joining Dysart Taylor, Matt was a law clerk to the Honorable Patricia Breckenridge, of the Missouri Court of Appeals, Western District. Matt also worked as a legal intern for the Honorable David J. Waxse, Magistrate for the U.S. District Court for the District of Kansas.
- Obtained dismissal of product liability claim against retail seller of school bus after a catastrophic bus accident, which was upheld by the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Successfully represented a commercial real estate developer in breach of fiduciary duty case resulting in settlements in excess of $1 million.
- Obtained dismissal of a wrongful death case against an industrial equipment manufacturer after expert discovery, with no monetary payment.
- Second chair trial counsel in case obtaining jury verdict in favor of a seller of a product against buyer who accepted the product but alleged the product did not meet specifications.
- Obtained judgment in favor of a parent company of an employer in a workplace death case.
- Successfully defended company who was sued by a former shareholder in breach of fiduciary duty case, which resulted in dismissal of the case.
- Successfully defended a city in a zoning and building permit case, which was upheld by the Missouri Court of Appeals.
- Represented public utilities and rural electric cooperatives in matters relating to injury and property damage claims, bankruptcy, billing disputes and administrative matters.
- Represents a group developing rail trails in matters concerning property rights, land use and administrative matters before the Surface Transportation Board.
- Experience in insurance defense representing insurance companies in first party insurance disputes.
- Drafted real estate contracts, leases, easements and other agreements in connection with real estate transactions with private and governmental entities.
- Kansas Bar Association
- The Missouri Bar
- Missouri Municipal Attorneys Association
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
- Missouri Organization of Defense Lawyers
- Lawyers Association of Kansas City
- Young Lawyers Section
- Treasurer, 2009-2011
- Board of Directors, 2007-2011
- Skippy and Skivvies (to benefit Operation Breakthrough), Committee Chair, 2008-2009
- Young Lawyers Section
- City of Prairie Village, Kansas
- Parks and Recreation Committee, Ward 5 representative
- Youth soccer and baseball coach
- Cub Scout Pack 3348, Prairie Village, Kansas
- University of Kansas School of Law, J.D. 2001
- Note and Comment Editor, University of Kansas Law Review
- William Jewell College, B.A., 1998
- Dean’s List
- Scholar athlete
- Super Lawyers – Missouri & Kansas Rising Stars Edition, 2008-2016
- Ross T. Roberts Inn of Court
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award® – Contracts I
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award® – Environmental Law Survey