John F. Wilcox, Jr. - Shareholder/Director
John is a litigator with substantial experience in the areas of transportation and logistics, products liability, commercial disputes, employment and criminal law. His transportation and logistics practice includes the representation of motor carriers, drivers, 3PLs, shippers, manufacturers and governmental entities in wrongful death, serious personal injury and property claims. He also assists clients with regulatory and compliance issues. During his career, John has briefed and argued a number of cases before the Kansas Supreme Court and Court of Appeals.
John served as Dysart Taylor’s managing director from 2012 to 2014. He is licensed in the state and federal courts of Kansas and Missouri as well as the Eighth and Tenth Circuit Courts of Appeal.
Prior to joining Dysart Taylor, John earned his Bachelor of Science degree in political science and psychology from Missouri State University, which he attended on a football scholarship. He then earned his Juris Doctor degree from the University of Kansas in 1994. He served as an assistant prosecutor for the State of Kansas from 1994 to 1998. During that time, he prosecuted and tried numerous cases including drug violations, property crimes, domestic violence, rape, robbery and homicide. John also taught criminal procedure at the police academy in Lawrence, KS.
- Successfully defended clients against $8.5 million claim alleging they'd breached their duty of loyalty to Plaintiff trucking company and tortiously interfered with Plaintiff’s business expectancy. Plaintiff also claimed that the Defendants should be enjoined from competing with it. The Circuit Court granted motions for summary judgment and to dismiss after extensive and contentious discovery. NKC Transportation, LLC v. Hill, et al. Platte County Circuit Court Case No. 16AE-CV02038-01.
- Achieved a significant arbitration victory for a state transportation agency involving an accident between a pickup truck and a motorcycle. The three member arbitration panel found unanimously for the client on all counts. Liljigren et al. v. Missouri Highways & Transportation Commission, Jackson County Circuit Court Case No. 1416-CV08390.
- Co-counsel in case in which the Kansas Court of Appeals upheld the District Court’s grant of summary judgment in favor of the client, a major truck box manufacturer. Lawson v. Ryder Truck Rental, Inc., et. al, 2013 WL 2321195 Kan.App.
- Retained prosecutor in a case in which the defendant was convicted of aggravated arson. State v. Fife, Greenwood County D. CT Case No. 07-CR62.
- Co-counsel and author of prevailing appellate brief in which the 10th Circuit reversed the District Court’s grant of summary judgment, holding that opposing ERISA plan administrator acted arbitrarily and capriciously in denying benefits. Cirulis v. UNUM Corporation Severance Plan, 321 F.3d 1010 (10th Cir.).
- Second chair trial counsel for a major interstate trucking company and the family of its driver, in a landmark wrongful death case. A runaway negligent commercial driver and his employer were identified and successfully prosecuted in a civil case through the use of satellite communication records. U.S. Xpress, Inc. v. XTL, et. al, United States District Court for the Western District of Missouri, 99-1134-CV-W-SOW.
- Lead trial prosecutor for a case in which the defendant was convicted of two counts of attempted second degree murder. State v. Riley, 26 Kan.App.2d 533, 989 P.2d 792.
- Served as appellate counsel in a case in which the defendant was convicted of first-degree murder and attempted aggravated robbery. The Kansas Supreme Court affirmed the defendant’s convictions rejecting his claims of ineffective assistance of defense counsel. State v. Orr, 262 Kan. 312, 940 P.2d 42.
- Co-trial prosecutor for a case in which defendant was tried as an adult and convicted of depraved heart second degree murder. State v. Robinson, 261 Kan. 865, 934 P.2d 38.
- Author of prevailing appellate brief in which the Court of Appeals reversed the District Court’s order enjoining the county from enforcing zoning regulations, as the raising and keeping of greyhounds for racing or sale was not an agricultural use of land. Weber v. Board of County Commissioners, 20 Kan.App.2d 152, 884 P.2d 1159.
- Transportation Lawyers Association
- First Vice President, 2018
- Second Vice President, 2017
- Secretary/Treasurer, 2016
- Logistics & e-Commerce Committee, Chair, 2014 - 2016
- Executive Committee, Representative-at-Large, 2009 - 2011
- American Arbitration Association
- National Roster
- Canadian Transportation Lawyers Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Kansas Motor Carriers Association
- Missouri Organization of Defense Lawyers
- American Bar Association
- The Missouri Bar
- Tort and Transportation Law Committee
- Co-Chair, 2018-2019
- Task Force on the Future of the Profession, Technology Subcommittee, 2016
- Tort and Transportation Law Committee
- Kansas Bar Association
- Johnson County Bar Association
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
- Conference of Freight Counsel
- Neighborhood Justice Center
- Board of Directors, 2015 - present
- Notre Dame de Sion School of Kansas City
- Sports Booster Club, Treasurer, 2013 - 2016
- Advancement Committee, 2003 - 2014
- Annual Auction, Underwriting Chairman, 2002 - 2008, 2011
- Annual Fund Chairman for Grade School, 2008 - 2009
- Grade School Basketball Coach
- Rockhurst High School Alumni Association
- Board of Governors, 2001 - 2006
- Wildwood Outdoor Education Center
- Board of Directors, 2005 - 2007
- “Twelve Years and Two Governors Later, the Missouri Legislature Takes a Second Stab at Major Tort Reform," co-author, The Transportation Lawyer, December 2017
- USLAW Compendiums of Law – Transportation, 2016 - 2018
- "FMCSA Issues Final Rule Regarding Driver Coercion," co-author, The Transportation Lawyer, February 2016
- "FMCSA Rulemaking, Driver Coercion and Respondeat Superior Liability," The Transportation Lawyer, December 2014
- "Can You Rely on DTI?," co-author, In Transit, July 2014
- "On the Road with the Second Amendment," co-author, The Transportation Lawyer, July 2013
- "Court Reform Update – Missouri Passes Major Tort Reform Legislation Which Will Have Dramatic Effects on Trucking Litigation," co-author, The Transportation Lawyer, July 2005
- "Basics of Truck Accident Cases," Missouri Bar Fall Committee Meetings, Jefferson City, MO, Nov. 16, 2018
- “The Expanding Survivorship Claim,” USLAW Transportation Law Exchange, Las Vegas, NV, Feb., 2017
- "Update on the EEOC's Attack on the Trucking Industry," Arkansas Trucking Conference, Rogers, AR, Sept. 2015
- "A Sword or a Shield? How Internal Corporate Policies Can Help or Hurt Transportation Companies in Litigation," Craig Safety Technologies Webinar, Kansas City, MO, June 2015
- "How Effective Implementation and Management of Internal Corporate Policies Can Eliminate Claims and Make Lawsuits Defensible," TLA Annual Conference and CTLA Mid-Year Meeting, Scottsdale, AZ, May 2015
- "Damned if You Do, Damned if You Don't - Conflicts between FMCSR and Employment Law," TLA Chicago Regional Seminar, Chicago, IL, Jan. 2015
- "The FMCSA After Anne Ferro: What's Next?" Inland Distribution Conference, Kansas City, MO, Oct. 2014
- "Dealing with the Problem Witness, the Hostile Adversary and Overcoming Obstructions, The Basics of Taking and Defending Effective Depositions," MoBar CLE, Independence, MO, 2014
- "Basics of Motor Vehicle/Trucking Cases," Joint Meeting of the Tort and Transportation Law Committees of The Missouri Bar, Jefferson City, MO, May 2013
- "Document and Data Retention Programs for Transportation Companies," TLA Annual Conference and CTLA Mid-Year Meeting, Carlsbad, CA, 2009
- "Insurance Bad Faith Claims in Missouri and Kansas," Cincinnati Insurance Companies, Kansas City, MO, 2008
- "Bad Faith Issues and Ethical Considerations for the Transportation Attorney," moderator, TLA Annual Conference and CTLA Mid-Year Meeting, San Antonio, TX, 2007
- "A Sword or a Shield? How Evolving Technologies in the Transportation Industry Impact the Presentation of Evidence in Transportation Litigation," moderator, TLA Annual Conference and CTLA Mid-Year Meeting, Lake Buena Vista, FL, 2006