Kenneth R. Hoffman - Shareholder/Director
Ken represents clients in the transportation and logistics industry in matters regarding regulatory, corporate (including M&A) and government relations matters, both domestic and international. His clients include domestic and foreign multimodal, land transport and container depot interests as well as carriers, shippers and intermediaries. Ken appears before state and federal courts and regulatory agencies, and in mediation and arbitration proceedings. He provides counsel and litigation for complex cargo loss and damage, contracts, hazardous materials, safety compliance, personal injury, and cross-border transportation matters. Ken is proficient in Spanish and has assisted with projects in Mexico, Canada, South America and Europe.
He is admitted to practice before the U.S. Supreme Court, Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals, and U.S. District Courts for the Western District of Missouri, District of Kansas, District of Colorado, and the Western, Eastern, Northern and Southern Districts of Texas. He is licensed to practice law in the States of Missouri, Texas and Colorado.
- Successfully defended a U.S. NVOCC against allegations of liability for misdelivery of five intermodal containers involving parties from India, Italy and the U.S. Litigation occurred in India and the U.S.
- Successfully prosecuted a federal interpleader action on behalf of a U.S. shipper to protect against potential double payment for a shipload of salt involving parties from the U.S., Egypt and Belgium.
- Chaired the committee that developed the North American Uniform Through Bill of Lading for use with international truck shipments among Canada, the U.S. and Mexico. This 12-year project included negotiations among carriers, shippers, intermediaries, insurers, regulatory agencies and governments from all three countries. Later, Ken served as the lead member for transportation issues on the U.S. Delegation to the Organization of American States, 6th Specialized Conference on Private International Law (CIDIP-VI) held in Washington, D.C. He negotiated with representatives of more than 30 countries in the Western Hemisphere to adopt a revised version of the North American Uniform Through Bill of Lading for use throughout the hemsiphere.
- Transportation Lawyers Association
- Annual Meeting Educational Program Committee Chair, 2008
- President, 2000-2001
- Canadian Transport Lawyers’ Association
- Annual Meeting Educational Program Committee Co-Chair, 2009
- Board of Directors, 2001-2002
- Conference of Freight Counsel
- Association of Transportation Law Professionals
- U.S.-Mexico Bar Association
- Served as one of the founding directors
- Kansas City SmartPort Inc.
- General Counsel, 2009-present
- Board of Directors, 2002-present
- Chairman, 2004-2006
- Greater Kansas City Foreign Trade Zone
- Board of Directors, 2014-present
- Pan American Association of Kansas City, Inc.
- Board of Directors, 2010-present
- “Transportation Contracts for Legal Compliance & Risk Management – They Aren’t Just for Rates Anymore!” USLAW Magazine, Spring/Summer 2015.
- “Unlawful Brokerage Activities Risk Unlimited Liability – Both Corporate and Personal,” The Transportation Lawyer, Vol. 15, No. 3, December 2013.
- Author of chapter 36 titled, “Motor Carrier Law,” United States Law of Trade and Investment, Vol. 4, edited by Boris Kozolchyk and John F. Molloy, 2001.
- "Canadian Transport Law - Cross-Border Hot Topics," Transportation Lawyers Association Annual Conference/Canadian Transport Lawyers Association Mid-Year Meeting, April 29, 2016.
- “Singing the Blues: Oil Spills and Explosions on Rail and Water,” Transportation Lawyers Association, Transportation Law Institute, November 7, 2014.
- “Regulation of Cross-Border Commercial Transportation of Goods between Canada and the U.S.” Transportation Lawyers Association Annual Conference/Canadian Transport Lawyers Association Mid-Year Meeting, May 2, 2014.
- “Transportation Attorneys Panel,” Transportation & Logistics Council Annual Conference, March 18, 2014.
- “State Anti-Indemnification Laws and Transportation Contracts,” North Dakota Motor Carriers Association 2nd Annual Oilfield Trucking Convention, October 29, 2013.
- “Freight Brokers and MAP-21,” Kansas Motor Carriers Association Annual Convention, September 26, 2013.
- “A Uniform NAFTA Bill of Lading,” Transportation Consumer Protection Council and Transportation Loss Prevention & Security Association, Joint Conference, Orlando, FL, March 22, 2004.
- “Legal Update: Mexico,” Association for Transportation Law, Logistics & Policy, Annual Meeting, Newport, RI, July 2, 2003.
- “The North American Uniform Through Bill of Lading – A History and Status Report,” speaker and moderator, North American Bill of Lading Conference, Belmont Abbey College, Charlotte, NC, March 31-April 1, 2003.
- “Cross-Border Trucking Challenges”, National Tank Truck Carriers, Board of Directors Winter Meeting, Longboat Key, FL, February 6, 2003.